Uncontested and Contested Divorce in Texas

Many people have questions about what is the difference between uncontested and contested divorce in Texas. For help in the Richardson-Plano-Garland area, and the surrounding areas in Texas, contact the Law Offices of Sharon Merrick. At my office, I represent men and women who need help understanding and navigating a contested or uncontested divorce.

What Is An Uncontested Divorce?

A divorce is deemed uncontested in Texas when both spouses agree to the terms of a divorce by signing a decree and presenting it at a hearing to the court, or the opposing party fails to respond in writing in a divorce proceeding.

What many people may not realize is that you can have an uncontested divorce even if you are not in agreement on every issue. I can help you settle these issues, and save thousands of dollars in litigation expenses, before the court approves the divorce decree. But, you should contact me as soon as you are served with divorce papers or ready to file because you only have 60 days after the divorce is filed to resolve any outstanding issues.

Contested Divorce

I also have extensive experience handling contested divorce actions where parties are in direct conflict on any number of issues, including:

  • Child custody
  • Visitation
  • Property division
  • Child support
  • Alimony

Using aggressive negotiation, pursuing divorce mediation or arguing on your behalf in court, my goal is to help you arrive at a settlement or verdict that meets your short- and long-term legal and financial needs. My job is to protect your interests and rights.

Free Attorney Consultation

It is easy to forget that a divorce is a lawsuit. It is in your best interest to consult a lawyer, even if you are in agreement about all the terms. I can help ensure that you have filled out the necessary forms properly, the terms meet your and your children's needs and that the court will approve them.

If you need to speak with a Richardson divorce lawyer, I am pleased to offer a free consultation. For assistance, call 972-591-2323 or contact me by email.