Fathers' Rights

In Texas, there is no longer a presumption that children will live with their mother after divorce.

At the Law Office of Sharon Merrick, I have represented many fathers in the Richardson-Plano area who seek primary conservatorship, expanded visitation or a 50-50 possession schedule. Fathers have rights after divorce, and I work to protect them. If you need help in this area, I urge you to contact my firm and schedule a free initial consultation.

Who Will Have Custody of Children After Divorce?

In Texas, child custody is referred to as "conservatorship." This term refers to the duty to make important decisions for your child on issues such as education, elective surgery, and consent to marry or join the military before age 18. These decisions can be made by one parent or require consultation or agreement with the other parent.

Representing Fathers in Child Custody and Visitation Cases

I have represented a number of fathers who were threatened with the loss of their parental rights by an angry spouse. Judges, however, are concerned with the best interests of the child involved.

In Texas, the legislature and courts now recognize that it is critically important for children to maintain a close relationship with both parents after a divorce. Except in cases involving special circumstances (e.g., domestic violence, chemical dependency or child abuse), the Texas Family Code favors that both parents have joint custody (conservatorship) of minor children, even if this is not a traditional 50/50 arrangement, but consists of substantial access and time with the children by a parent who does not have primary custody.

I work closely with my clients to develop parenting plans that work for all parties involved, when possible. Should negotiation and mediation fail to achieve a resolution of a custody or visitation matter, I am a skilled litigator and I will aggressively defend my clients' parental rights in the courtroom.

When it comes to fathers' rights and child custody, many people think it's win or lose. As your lawyer, I will work with you and fight for a custody solution that meets your goals and objectives.

Free attorney consultation: To discuss fathers' rights with me, lawyer Sharon Merrick, call 972-591-2323 or fill out the contact form on this website.